Sunday, July 28, 2013

The times, they are a-changin' (in our fridge)

So one of my life long best friends got us a great wedding gift.  We got a cookbook/natural lifestyle guide titled "Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats," by Sally Fallon.  It. is. awesome.  The book gives you the basic information you need to be able to feed your modern family using pre-industrialized food preparation techniques.  Told you it's awesome.  I'd really like to make the switch to home made and natural foods before we're ready to start trying for kids.  

My nerdy background has made me privy to lots of information on epigenetics and the impact that your diet can play on the child you carry in your womb.  But for the sake of my wallet and my husband's picky palet, I'm starting off slow.  I began by asking for glass food storage containers on our wedding registry.  BPA can do some nasty things.  The convenience of plastic is not worth risking health in my book.  

First recipe?  Well we are out of ketchup, so I will begin by fermenting my own ketchup.  The game plan is to replace our previously store-bought items with home-made as we run out of them.  I think after ketchup I'll tackle mayonaise, which seems like a nice simple recipe.  The cool thing about these recipes is that they use lacto-fermentation as preservation.  If I do it correctly, most of these condiments will last for months in the fridge just like their store-bought counterparts with artificial preservatives.

I'm hoping that this time next year, my fridge will have at least 75% home made contents.  I don't expect that we will ever completely break away from convenience foods.  Let's face it, I love Wendy's, my husband loves Popeye's, and we both love Steak'n'Shake milk shakes and treating ourselves to a dinner date night out.  My hope is that the majority of our regular at home diet will have fewer labels with encyclopedias of ingredients on the back.  

In other news, we're nearly finished with Mockingjay in our Hunger Games audiobook adventure!  It has been so great to share books I love with my husband, and we've bothed really enjoyed some time together at home without a TV.  We really had fun revisiting the Hunger Games movie now that he actually knows what's going on.  He said it's like a whole new movie when you really understand the back story.  Now we're both fired up the the Catching Fire movie this fall!!!      

I also ordered our wedding photobooks and they should be getting here in the mail early this week.  It will be great to finally have our pictures in a physical form!  I think the next project will be getting some quality prints framed up, but I might wait until we move to our next place and have more wall space.  

We've got a lot more exciting stuff coming up, I can't wait to share once it all goes down!

No comments:

Post a Comment