Monday, July 8, 2013

Better late than never!

     So last night I was supposed to write my 3rd blog entry.  Didn't quite make that deadline.  I made another important one instead... submitted my master's thesis draft for a preliminary review by the graduate school!!  Woo hoo! May not seem very exciting, but it is a very important step toward getting this master's degree thing wrapped up with a nice little bow on it so I can move on with my life (by applying for another master's because I'm drunk on learnings).

Scholastic ambition is dumb.  Avoid it if you can.

    Last week was a pretty good week.  Husband man and I had a great 4th of July with friends and family.  Like most people in Texas, we enjoyed a far too carnivorous day of eating and drinking with some pyrotechnics sprinkled in there.  It's hard to spend a thursday much better than with family, food, and fireworks!
Real G's chill with fam
    I did manage to create something this week in between the mad thesis scramble of '13....  apple-banana bread!!  Am I a genius?  Certainly not in the kitchen.  Any other form of genius has yet to manifest, but we will see.
Back to the lecture at hand (perfection is perfected, so I'm 'a let 'em understand, from a young G's perspective)....  apple. banana. bread.

    I used this recipe for classic banana bread.  Then I got snazzy.  Add 1/2 cup of peeled then diced apple.  You definitely want to add 1/2 of chopped walnuts if you've got them, but no sweat if you don't or if you are a hater of delicious, savory tree nuts.  (More apple = more juice, use a little less milk if you're gonna go apple heavy)

    Are you impressed?  Well you might want to try the recipe with the added apples and re-evaluate your answer.  The apples lend a little juice to the situation and make for a very happy, moist banana bread.  I recommend serving it hot out of the oven so that your butter can melt on nicely while you pop planet of the apes into your DVD player/Netflix cue.  Please don't ruin your wonderful new bread with hydrogenated soy bean oil spreads and bull shit.  Cows make milk, milk makes butter.  Less chemistry is better.  (Learn you some moderation like a grown-ass adult and stop eating industrial by-products. end rant.)
     Probably one of the most memorable dates I had with my husband was the first time I baked nanner bread for him and we had a Planet of the Apes marathon in my apartment.  Oh yeah, it's corny. Oh yeah, it's delicious.

    May-haps I shall concoct a rum cake and view many Pirates of the Caribbean, if the winds a-favor it.
    Better yet, we'll have a Matrix marathon and I'll bake cookies then take them all away because they were only part of the Matrix and we're above such falsehoods.

    I didn't take a picture of our spoils this time... I'll get better at this.

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment